Primary care – our family GP services – are under increasing pressure.
There is growing demand from our ageing population with many more complex patients with multiple long term conditions. It is difficult to recruit to traditional models of primary care and some practices are very vulnerable.
What will we do?
We will step up our work to support primary care by:
- Extending the role of community pharmacies to provide a wider range of enhanced services.
- Extending roles within practices including advanced nurse practitioners, physiotherapists and community paramedics.
- Enabling practices to collaborate to deliver an enhanced range of services.
- Improving access to general practice by enabling practices to work together to coordinate their provision of extended access.
- Supporting practices to reduce differences across practices and improve outcomes.
- Creating more attractive models of employment, e.g. salaried GP services portfolio careers with varied clinical and academic job plans.